In today’s world, we cannot imagine our life without the Internet. The internet has become an important part of our lives. From purchasing household items to attending meetings on Zoom online, we depend on internet services.
Have you purchased anything from e-commerce websites? Are you also using social media handles in your day-to-day life? Well, you all must be using the same for satisfying your daily needs in life. Have you ever tried to understand how you purchase items and talk to your friends and relatives outside the country by just clicking on a button? What are internet services?
Want to know the answers to these questions? Therefore, continue reading the blog till the end.
What are Internet Services?
To understand the meaning of Internet Services, let us first understand the Internet. The term internet is made up of two words:-
Inter-> which means “International” or “Independent” and Net-> which means “Networks.”
Therefore, the internet is the combination of various international or independent computer networks which helps you access ample information available on the browsing website online. Vinton Grey Cerf is known as the Father of the Internet. As per the latest report of Worldwide Digital Population 2023, there were 5.18 billion internet users worldwide, which refers to 64.6 per cent of the global population. Of this total, 4.8 billion, or 59.9 per cent of the world’s population, were social media users.
The internet has covered almost all aspects of human life. Artificial Intelligence has evolved which is planning to replace humans with robotics technology. Therefore, with the increase in IT and communication technologies, the demand for the Internet and its services is increasing tremendously all over the globe.
Now let us have a look at the term Internet Services.
The services that help you access a huge amount of online data, information and resources over the Internet are known as Internet Services. Internet Services enable you to access anything you want to search by browsing applications and websites within just a fraction of a second. Internet Services include communication services, web services, directory services, network management services, e-commerce services and many more.
Note: Continue reading the article to know more about Internet Services.
What is the need for Internet Services?
Let us take the common example of Wi-Fi to understand the need for internet services in today’s digital world. Given below are the points that describe the need for Internet Services in our daily lives:-
- Freedom to Access:- Internet services like Wi-Fi help you access anything anywhere like any file, document and other resources within the specified range of its network all around the world. Therefore, to access your data and information on time you need internet services such as Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity).
- Access to Other Devices:- Internet services help you access other devices such as by connecting with the wi-fi helps you operate various technical devices at a point in time. Therefore, internet services help to enhance or boost your work performance in your personal and professional life.
- Cost-Effective:- These days you can easily access internet services at affordable rates such as Wi-Fi, e-commerce websites, etc. Therefore, Internet services have eased the use of online websites in and around the country.
Thus, the need for Internet services is increasing with the emergence of new communication technologies all over the globe.
What are the types of Internet Services?
The different-different types of Internet Services are as follows:-
Broadband Internet Services
Broadband refers to the transmission of data, information, videos and audio through technologies at a high speed and is used to transmit data and information at large distances. Further, broadband internet services are categorized into three major types which are as follows:-
1. DSL (Digital Subscriber Line): Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) which is also known as Digital Subscriber Loop. DSL is one of the most famous ways used by Internet Service Providers to give access to Internet services all over the world. Digital Subscriber Line is a strong medium of communication that is used to transfer high-speed data and information effortlessly. The main feature of the Digital Subscriber Loop is that it helps to increase the compatibility and affordability of devices in the market.
2. Cable Internet: It is a kind of high-speed connection that helps end users by providing data services by using a cable TV infrastructure. Therefore, in simple terms, cable internet is bundled with TV channels and the local cable TV service providers help to provide services all around the market.
3. Fiber Optic Internet: Fiber Optic Internet is another type of broadband internet service that helps to carry out data connections by using a cable filled with thin glass or plastic fibres.
Mobile Internet Services
Access to a high-speed internet connection with the help of a mobile phone is known as Mobile Broadband or Mobile Internet Services. If we talk about the forms of mobile broadband, they come up in the following mentioned types:
- Personal Wi-Fi Devices
- Data SIM Cards
1. 3G (Third Generation): 3G is the third generation of network technology that helps to provide high-speed wireless bandwidth to operate devices. The high data transfer rates will allow 3G networks to provide multimedia services combining voice and data.
2. 4G LTE (Long-Term Evolution): Long-Term Evolution also known as 4G LT, is a standard for wireless data transmission that allows you to search on websites, download music, and video fast—much faster than 3G technology.
3. 5G (Fifth Generation) – The Next Frontier: 5G also known as Fifth Generation is the next frontier. It is one of the newest global-level wireless standards networks after 1G, 2G, 3G, and 4G. The fifth-generation network offers higher speed for downloading, uploading and accessing high-storage files, documents, computer resources, applications and software, etc.
Satellite Internet Services
Satellite Internet or Satellite Broadband is simply the process of accessing the internet through communication satellites. Satellite Internet is the traditional or common technology of the backward areas of the world where people cannot access other broadband internet options such as DSL connections, etc. Therefore, it is one of the initial types of Internet Services used before the evolution of high-speed Internet services such as 3G, 4G or 5G etc.
Dial-up Internet Services
Dial-up Internet Services is the process in which the data is accessed with the help of a device known as a modem which is further connected to a telephonic network. Dial-up internet service is only accessed when an individual makes a phone call. The main disadvantage of Dial-up internet services is that the speed and efficiency of the network are compromised because of the usage of normal phone lines.
What are the advantages of Internet Services?
The advantages of Internet Services are as follows-
Enhanced Communication and Connectivity
Internet services have enhanced communication and connectivity between the people sitting in and around the country. With the help of high-speed internet connections, it becomes easy to make new friends and to know about the culture and traditions of other nations, to interact with new people via social media applications such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
Access to a Wealth of Information
One of the main benefits of Internet services is that it has provided you with the option to access a wealth of information on any specific topic or subject. Therefore, an individual can attain any kind of information by searching on the browsing sites online.
Facilitation of E-commerce and Online Business
One of the famous and trending shopping websites and online businesses are working just because of the support of high-speed data internet services. High-data internet services have eased the process of shopping for household items to managing professional work online all over the globe.
Education and E-Learning Opportunities
During the Covid-19 pandemic, when the world is fighting the dangerous coronavirus, electronic learning has helped students to stay connected with their studies by sitting in the comfort of their living rooms. Therefore, E-Learning education has made the process of learning much easier than before and it become possible because of the emergence of high-speed data from internet services all over the globe.
Remote Work and Telecommuting
Remote work is simply the process of working in a different location from the central location of a business, enterprise or company office. Telecommuting emerged because of the internet services which made the process of transferring information and has eased communication all over the world.
What are the common Internet Services and Applications?
The list of common Internet Services and Applications is as follows:-
World Wide Web (WWW)
The World Wide Web (W3) also known as the Web, WWW refers to all the public or browsing websites that one can access on their l computers and other devices with the help of the internet. These pages and documents are interconnected using hyperlinks that users click on for information. This information can be in distinct formats, such as text, images, audio and video. The term WWW or W3 is not synonymous with the Internet, the World Wide Web is part of the Internet.
Email and Webmail Services
Emails are Electronic Mail Services that help to provide businesses, enterprises and corporations with tools to send bulk emails and implement email marketing.
Whereas on the other hand, Webmail (or web-based email) is an email service that can be accessed by an individual using a standard web browser. Examples of webmail providers are AOL Mail, Gmail, GMX Mail, Mailfence, and Yahoo! Mail.
Social Media Platforms
Social Media Platforms are one of the trending and newest mediums of communication. Social Media Platforms are a form of new media technology which are very popular in today’s world. Social media platforms are generally used by people to publish their daily activities, comments and photos as well as re-publish information posted by others. Examples of social media platforms are Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
Video Streaming Services
A video streaming service is one of the on-demand online entertainment sources for Television shows, movies or films and other streaming media. These services provide an alternative to cable and satellite high-demand service, often at a lower cost. The usage of video streaming services often requires fees, such as subscriptions.
Cloud Computing and Storage
Cloud Computing is one of the high-demand domains of the IT industry. Cloud Computing and Storage simply hold your data, while cloud computing allows you to do things with that data. The terms are also different in application. Most cloud computing programs are specifically created for business use, on the other hand, cloud storage is useful for professional and personal needs.
Online gaming is any video game that provides online interactions with other players of the world. For example Ludo, PUBG, etc. Youngsters of today’s world are mostly interested in playing online games. Therefore, Online Gaming is the other common example of Internet Services and Applications.
What are Computer Network Services?
Computer Network Services also known as Network services, are applications at the network application that helps to connect users working in offices, branches, or remote locations all over the world. These services typically run on servers.
The most common types of Computer Networks are:-
- LAN: Local Area Network
- WAN: Wide Area Network
- PAN: Personal Area Network
- VPN: Virtual Private Network
- MAN: Metropolitan Area Network
A networking service is a low- or high-level application that enables the network to perform more than basic functions. Some examples of networking services include NTP, DNS, DHCP, VoIP, File and Directory, Hardware Sharing, Email, and Website Hosting.
Therefore, Internet Services are the services that help you access a large amount of data and software and applications online. The emergence of new-generation networks like 4G and 5G has eased the process of accessing any kind of data anywhere and at any time with the help of the internet. Thus, In this blog, we have discussed Internet Services, their need and types, common Internet services, explanation of computer network services.