“I dream of digital India where cyber security becomes an integral part of national security.” – Narendra Modi.
According to reports, 5 lakh cybersecurity engineer jobs are still available in India, while only 65 thousand cyber security engineers are there. Due to a lack of knowledge, skills, and guidance, those positions remain vacant. Therefore, here we are with the blog on cybersecurity engineer jobs to help you excel in IT. Keep reading till the end to understand vacancies in the cybersecurity domain better.
Why is cybersecurity trending?
Cybersecurity is trending due to the increasing reliance on technology and the internet. As more people use technology to store sensitive information such as personal data, financial information, and intellectual property, the risk of cyber-attacks and data breaches is a primary concern.
Why choose cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity is a field that offers a range of opportunities and benefits. With the increasing reliance on technology, the demand for cybersecurity professionals is increasing simultaneously. In addition to job security, cybersecurity offers a variety of roles, intellectual challenges, and opportunities for impact. It is a constantly evolving field that requires ongoing learning and provides the chance to make a real difference in protecting sensitive information and infrastructure.
What does a cybersecurity engineer do?
A cybersecurity engineer is a professional responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining security measures to protect an organization’s computer systems, networks, and data from unauthorized access, theft, and damage.
The prominent tasks are as follows-
- To conduct security audits and risk assessments to identify vulnerabilities
- To develop and implement security policies
- To monitor systems for security breaches and respond to incidents when they occur
- To design and implement firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and other security measures to protect against cyber attacks
- To conduct penetration testing to identify weaknesses in an organization’s systems and networks
- To provide training and support to employees on how to practice safe computing practices
What is the need for a cybersecurity engineer?
The need for cybersecurity engineers arises from the increasing dependence on technology and the internet, which has led to a greater need for security measures to protect against cyber threats. Cybersecurity engineers design and implement security systems, monitor network activity, and respond to security incidents to ensure the safety and privacy of digital assets.
What skills are mandatory to become a cybersecurity engineer?
The skills required to become a cybersecurity engineer are as follows-
- Knowledge of Operating Systems
A solid understanding of operating systems, including their functionalities, vulnerabilities, and security mechanisms, including Windows, Linux, and MacOS, is mandatory.
- Network Security
You should be familiar with network protocols and know network security technologies such as firewalls, intrusion detection and prevention systems (IDPS), and virtual private networks (VPNs).
- Understanding of Cryptography
A deep understanding of encryption, decryption, digital signatures, and key management is mandatory.
- Understanding of Security Frameworks
You should be familiar with security frameworks such as NIST Cybersecurity Framework, ISO 27001, and PCI DSS.
- Malware Analysis
You should be able to analyze malware and identify its behaviour and characteristics.
- Understanding of Web Application Security
You should know web application security vulnerabilities such as SQL injection, cross-site scripting (XSS), and CSRF (Cross-Site Request Forgery).
- Incident Response
You should be able to respond to cybersecurity incidents, analyze the incident, and create a remediation plan.
- Cloud Security
You should know cloud security technologies like AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a skilled cybersecurity engineer?
The roles and responsibilities of cybersecurity engineers are as follows-
- Developing and implementing security measures
A cybersecurity engineer designs and implements security measures to protect an organization’s information and systems from cyber-attacks.
- Identifying and mitigating security risks
They assess potential security threats and vulnerabilities and develop strategies to mitigate risks.
- Monitoring systems
A cybersecurity engineer monitors systems to detect and respond to security incidents, including breaches, hacking attempts, and malware infections.
- Conducting security audits
They perform regular security audits to identify vulnerabilities and assess the effectiveness of security measures.
- Developing security policies and procedures
A cybersecurity engineer creates and enforces security policies and procedures that align with industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
- Collaborating with other IT professionals
A cybersecurity engineer works closely with other IT professionals, such as network administrators, to ensure the security of all systems and networks.
How to make a career in cybersecurity?
To make a career in cybersecurity, you need to follow the cybersecurity roadmap in detail. Therefore, you can read the blog further to know the pathway better.
- Get a bachelor’s degree
- Get a cybersecurity course certification
- Acquire top cybersecurity skills
- Apply for a cybersecurity engineering position
What courses can help me become a cybersecurity engineer?
Where can I enroll to become a cybersecurity engineer?
Also, you will get 24*7 access to the world’s biggest virtual labs with zero downtime and learn directly from engineers.
What are the other cybersecurity engineer jobs?
The other job roles for a cybersecurity engineer are as follows-
- Security Analyst
- Network Security Engineer
- Information Security Manager
- Security Architect
- Penetration Tester
- Incident Response Manager
- Cybersecurity Consultant
- Ethical Hacker
- Malware Analyst
- Forensic Analyst
- Security Operations Center (SOC) Analyst
- Cloud Security Engineer
- Identity and Access Management (IAM) Specialist
- Security Software Developer
- IoT Security Engineer
- Mobile Security Engineer
- Application Security Engineer
- Threat Intelligence Analyst
- Risk Management Analyst
What is the salary of a cybersecurity engineer?
The salary of a cybersecurity engineer in different countries is as follows-
- United States: $80,000 to $150,000
- United Kingdom: £35,000 to £85,000
- Canada: CAD 70,000 to CAD 130,000
- Australia: AUD 80,000 to AUD 150,000
- Germany: €50,000 to €100,000
- France: €45,000 to €80,000
- India: INR 500,000 to INR 1,200,000
- Singapore: SGD 60,000 to SGD 130,000
- United Arab Emirates: AED 150,000 to AED 320,000
- Japan: JPY 6,000,000 to JPY 10,000,000
- Brazil: BRL 80,000 to BRL 180,000
- South Africa: ZAR 350,000 to ZAR 700,000
- Mexico: MXN 400,000 to MXN 800,000
- Saudi Arabia: SAR 120,000 to SAR 300,000
- Switzerland: CHF 90,000 to CHF 150,000
Becoming a cybersecurity engineer requires an understanding of network security, cryptography, and risk management. Pursuing relevant certifications, gaining practical experience through internships or entry-level positions, and staying current with industry trends are crucial steps to success in this challenging and rewarding field.
Hence, we are here to help, so feel free to write to us. Good Luck!